Tuesday, August 2, 2011

got insurance? -Ryan

Before we ever imagined being pregnant my provider was through work and they wanted to charge me an arm and a leg to cover my wife. They covered 70% of me, 0% of Katherine, and 0% of any dependents. This would make our monthly health care bill around 900.00 per month, which I don’t have. I decided that if my company was too good to offer any coverage for my wife, then we would both be better off looking for coverage else where. First, we checked out all the major players: Humana, Blue Cross Blue Shield, Fidelity, and none of these companies even offer any type of maternity coverage. Then I started looking at these secondary smaller health insurance places. Most of these companies are following suit like their big brothers by dropping all maternity coverage as well, but there were a few I found that offered it with a catch. The catch was that if we wanted maternity, then we would have to start paying on it immediately, along with signing a contract promising not to conceive for at least 12 months before any coverage would be provided. We didn’t even know at the time whether or not Katherine could even have kids, so the last thing we were going to do was sign any dumb 12 month contracts.
I wish I would have known about the website http://www.mid.state.ms.us/ before I ever began my search. If you are in the situation I was in, they will find you coverage and it’s free to use. I’m sure every state offers a similar website. Since I didn’t know about the website, we opted out of any type of maternity and got a basic coverage plan.
Two months later Katherine was pregnant.

No comments:

Post a Comment