Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Day one of birthing class -Ryan

So last night Katherine and I got a chance to go to our first birthing class. It runs every Tuesday night from 6 - 9 pm, for a total of four classes. We tried to sneak in (running 15 minutes late) and were welcomed by a very sweet lady, Mrs. Donna Manning. Mrs. Manning greeted us very warmly, and told us she promises never to start the class on time or keep us there until 9pm. She won me over quickly.

Only two other couples were in the class when we first arrived, all were around our age. A few minutes later reality walked into the room in the form of a very pretty eighteen year old high school girl. She was unaccompanied by any family or spouse and quickly explained that she was still going to the New Hope High School.

I immediately went back in time and thought about myself at eighteen. What a sad piece of work I was. I had know idea what my future looked like or even cared for that matter- fun was it. I didn't think about consequences and was completely self absorbed. The thought of that kid trying to bring anyone into this world would have been bad (by bad I mean incredibly awful). I pray this girl has a strong support system at home. I applaud her for her courage and for facing this class alone, if she felt insecure or awkward, then she never showed it.

As class went on Mrs. Manning explained we were to watch a video of a lady giving birth. She also explained that she would be blocking the door to prevent any men from trying to escape. The video picked up with a woman and her husband just as she started into labor. She spoke with excitement and you could tell she was eager to get started. They showed several clips from through out the labor, each one you could see a more serious expectant mother as the contractions grew stronger. At one point they show her walking up and down the halls and you could tell she was exhausted, she would have to take breaks and would need support from carrying her own body weight. Since she was in the middle of the hospital and had nothing to lean on, her husband would get down on the floor and act as a "table" for her to crouch on. I could see the excitement in Katherine's eyes at the thought of me being her table.

The birth finally came and it was gross, the after birth was sicker. It looked like some one took all the hair from the vacuum of a cat lady's house, dipped it in blood, and squeezed it out, gross. I think I can handle it, but I don't believe I'll cut the umbilical cord, I see no use in that.

Next week we will be talking about the birthing process and doing a long Q&A. I'll be sure to keep you all informed.



No comments:

Post a Comment