Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Days 3 & 4 of Birthing Class... not a riot. -Ryan

If the cart of babies being wheeled by doesn't frighten you, she then asks you to take one. It then sits there in front of you and lays motionless for the next three hours. I knew we were to learn how to preform CPR on a newborn, and I didn't like it. Not one bit.

Last night was full of the stuff you need to know, but didn't want to, about your baby. It's a good class and I am really glad I went, you just can't help but empathize with all of those parents who actually have been put in the scenarios we were training for. God bless them. I found myself uneasy with most of the conversation and techniques, although they were hypothetical. So much in fact, I didn't write about class three for fear of the whole post being one giant buzz kill.

I had to learn this stuff so now I will share, in country guy talk. "If yer kid ain't breathin, then don't you hesitate. Ya gotta grab hold of 'em like a football, with that face of theirs down looking at yer crotch, and wack 'em with your palm 5 times right between the blades. Than again front side, this time only use two fingers in between the belly button and the nipple line. Five and five."

If you discover your child's not breathing, then you must remember the Bee Gee's hit staying alive. Even if you have poor rhythm like me, you can keep that beat. Don't waste anytime and get to work, place two fingers right in between the nipples and press 30 times. Breathe twice into the child's mouth covering the mouth and nose, repeat. I guess they used to have other the steps like listening for breathing, or checking for an obstruction before CPR, but it was too much to remember & intimidating, and so now they just want you to get right to it. Thirty and two is the important part.

Mrs. Manning referred us to this video. I was happy to know that she too is an Office fan.

Another strange phenomenon I learned about is Plagiocaphaly, otherwise known as "flat head syndrome."  According to the American Association of SIDS prevention physicians    (AASPP), They highly recommend you lay your baby on their backs while they sleep, this is supposed to be the most effective way to prevent SIDS. As mothers have been doing this, the pressure from this position over time is causing the skulls of the child's head to flatten. One half of all children will suffer from this to some extent and (in some children) can even become severe enough to cause brain damage. We were recommended to look into getting a "noggin nest," which has a hole conveniently cut out to relieve that constant pressure. Also to have "tummy time" during the day.    


Molly's due date will land somewhere in the middle of October, which means she will spend her first six months during the peak season for RSV. Respiratory Syncytial Virus is a highly contagious germ that causes lung and airway infections in infants. From what I understand, this can create a very grueling regiment for the parents- constant monitoring is in order because it can lead to much more serious problems. The number one cause of this bug is exposure to large crowds, such as Wal-mart, daycare, and other overpopulated places. The second leading cause is second hand smoke, either from breathing it in the same room, or off of clothes and hair. I always thought the parents that kept hand sanitizer in every room were way over protective, but I get it now. Don't get me wrong, I do plan on taking Molly out, and like it or not, family and friends who smoke will get to hold her. I will just be a little overly cautious for those crucial first six months when she is most susceptible. This means, very few trips to the store (completely covered when out) and smokers will have to get used to the hand sanitizer and removing smoking gear, jackets and such.

Well, that's it for this round of baby fear factor. Next week we are planning on having a 4D sonogram! If you have ever seen these things then you're going to find that post very boring. I you haven't, then prepared to be wowed!





2 comments:

  1. So that is what is wrong with Jacob, I didn't use an Noggie rest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Off the record, I co slept with all of my boisterously healthy children, and they all slept better on their bellies.

    I'm not supposed to tell anyone that. But when you're bf-ing full time, it's just easier overall. Maybe a co-sleeper bed (I'm sure you know about then by now) tucked next to yours.

    And remember, Mama's got a keen instinct for baby's cry. She'll be up- or at least get brain will be- long before baby finishes that first wail in the middle of the night.

    ReplyDelete